Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

metal stud wall/wood floor-connection at rim board req'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

ick2

Structural
May 16, 2003
CY
This is kind of an emergency and i will appreciate any help i can get. I have a 3 story single family house. The floor is made of TJIs and the exterior walls are metal studs. If we cut a section thru the edge of slab we have the metal stud (lower floor) with the top track, then double wood plates, then the wood joist framing perpedicular, then the plywood on top and then the metal track and the stud wall of the higher floor. Where can i find information on how to connect the rim board, the studs, the floor plywood and the TJIs for lateral loads? Should i use a wood rim board or a metal one?
thank you in advance for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since your floor is wood, I would go with a wood rim joist. After that it should all be pretty typical connections. Be careful what screws you use between the CFMS & wood framing. You will need a screw with a self drilling tip and course threads to drill through the steel and into the wood.

I would suggest you look up the stud manufacturers website for details.

If you choose to use a timber rimboard then this is usually connected to the joists using standard joist brackets (simpson or similar), the studs usually have a c section angle track across the top which can be screwed to the underside of the rim board or joists. ditton for the top.

Hopoe this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back