Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metallurgical Engineering License

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matlsguy

Materials
Jun 1, 2006
US
Hello,

I have a BS and MS in Materials Science/Engineering. I want to get my PE license but unfortunately where I work there are no licensed metallurgical engineers. I work as a metallurgical/process engineer in an aerospace investment casting facility. My question is do I absolutely need to work under a licensed metallurgical engineer for 5 years or would some states relax that requirement seeing that there are hardly any licensed metallurgical engineers in industry today around where I live (I live in the northeast). Thanks

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The answer to your question really depends on the Professional Engineer Licensing Board in your state. In some cases, State Boards recognize that there are a limited amount of Metallurgical PE's. So, as in my case, when I applied for licensure, I was requested to provide a very detailed account of relevant work experience. The company I had worked for did not have a single PE in metallurgy. I did, however, list two of my associates that were licensed mechanical engineers as references on my application.

The Board reviewed my work history and decided I was qualified to sit for the metallurgical PE exam. Again, check with your State board because they have the final say regarding licensure!

If you decide to take the PE exam, there will be a re-write of the current exam, not sure when, to include both metallurgy and materials engineering.

Let's hope that the re-write drops some of the extractive questions.
When I lived in IN there was no metallurgy exam offered. I waited until I moved to OK to take it. They only required working under/with PEs, not speciffically in metallurgy. If your work history isn't well documented then you might have more trouble.
Remember, your certificate does not say which test you took.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rust never sleeps
Neither should your protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back