Metallurgy for CCR catalyst facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhivmairal

Petroleum
Jun 26, 2018
IN
Dear All,

We shall be designing a catalyst facility for wherein we shall be preparing metal salt slurries for CCR catalyst metal impregnation, which shall include different concentration of dilute HCL at 40-60 C max operating temperature. Request to please guide us in metallurgy selection for the following
1) Batch stirred tank vessels (glass lined CS or SS 316L shall be OK for vessels ?)
2) Agitators
3) Pipes/chutes

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Based on your question, I assume that this is the first time that you have designed such a facility and that the budget imposed by your MBA masters does not allow for inclusion of a metallurgist or to to perform the necessary corrosion studies on a contracted basis ...

It is far better to pay the money to make the right choice early than to trust a group of aging hostile engineering strangers on the internet.

I strongly believe that plain Carbon steel will be just fine for this acidic salt service (for a short time).... But, then again, I have just gotten out of the hospital and am still taking some powerful psychoactive drugs.

You may have found yourself in the magical engineering place called "SCR*WED" where your 60C temperature eliminates glass lined components, your dilute HCl eliminates your austenitic SS choice and your abrasive salts eliminate most other options ....

So .... I would take the third-world approach and make everything out of carbon steel and count on replacements on an annual basis ... (Wait, I have to go take my pills..)

Consider reposting in the "Corrosion Engineering" Forum ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back