Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metering Pump Acceleration Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghoshtathagata2000

Industrial
Jul 20, 2010
IN
Hi,

Just came accross a situation where we are having trouble with the acceleration head losses

The product is Isobutane, and the mean suction pressure is 58 psi. The NPIPA without acceleration head is only 5.3 psi.

Now, the length of the suction piping is 157 ft, which translates to 36 psi of acceleration head for 300 gph flow. So, in fact we have a negative NPIPA.

To take care of the same, we are installing suction pulsation dampeners. But, we are not sure if they would work fine given the very low NPIPA even without the acceleration head(we have selected 600 cu. in dampener.

Anybody having any idea on how we can calculate the resultant acceleration head with the dampeners installed. I guess we will position the dampener within 10 - 15 ft of the suction flange. NPIPR = 3.4 psia anyway.

We need to ensure our pumps are free from the cavitation effect.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thee damper vendors can usually give this, but I think this is a sticking plaster over a big wound.

It looks to me like you're trying to make something work which in reality never will unless you change more than one parameter.

Is this a new facility or are you adapting something.

So for me you either need more pressure somehow or greater elevation difference, bigger pipes or a different pump.

Pumping highly volatile liquids can get interesting alright.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back