Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Methane Number calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

msonnet

Electrical
Jun 26, 2002
BE
Hi everybody,

I am trying to figure out how to calculate the Methane Number (MN) for a given gas composition. I tried to find some information in the literature but was not successful.

I only found the following formulas:

MON = -406.14 + 508.04*(H/C) – 173.55*(H/C)^2 + 20.17*(H/C)^3
MN = 1.624*MON – 119.1

with H/C being the hydrogen/carbon ration. (MON = motor octane number).

Having tried it on several gas compositions, I am always off by some 10% of the real MN number. Even if I take 100% CH4,I get a MN=108 which is obviously wrong.

Would it be possible to calculate the MN of the gas composition based on the MN of the various constituents multiplied by the Mol %, such as done to calculate the Molecular Weight of the gas? If yes, where can I find the MN numbers for the various elements?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since side branching of a fuel hydrocarbon has a big effect on octane number, I am not sure one can be very predictive of fuel performance by using merely the carbon/hydrogen ratios.

For example, normal octane (C8H18) has very poor performance, but Tri Methyl Pentane, also (C8H18), and also known as iso-octane, is very good. In fact, it is the standard for the 100 octane number as you may know. In this case, the H/C ratios of these two fuels are the same, but the motor octane numbers differ by more than 100 points.

Maybe that H/C formula is restricted to linear molecules?

Your formula relating methane numbers to motor octane is interesting. The arithmetic gives:
MN 100 = MON 135 and
MN 0 = MON 73.5

This means that since the MN scale has methane = 100 and hydrogen = 0, that the motor octane of methane is 135 and hydrogen is 73.5.

I googled a goldmine of info on Compressed Natural Gas as vehicle fuel at

There are actually 7 parts. Just play with the URL to get the others.

The site has a lot of tech content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back