Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Method for determing H2S and NH3 in gas streams

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfacchin

Chemical
May 13, 2009
BR
S!
Hi,
is there any method for determining H2S and NH3 in the gas stream of a sour water unit, specially a 2 towers plant?
I wish to evaluate the amount of NH3 that is being carried over from the H2S stripper to the SRU's.
Best regards [cheers]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pull some samples and see what is going on. Use a tedlar bag and do an on-site draeger test with a tube for a rough estimate? Try a simulation and see how much NH3 is in the overheads - should be a fairly simply partial pressure type calculation.

Did I misunderstand the question?

S!
Hi, Maddocks.
You did get the idea.
Dräger tubes can be used for estimates, however I don't know how it reacts in H2S stripper top gases.
In the catalog is not clear how the concentration of the species interfere (H2S and NH3) in the result.
It's said that the indication is not affected by 2000 ppm of H2S and SOx, but the H2S level will be much higher.
The other point is that we wish to have a lab procedure in order to do the analysis in regular basis, say once or twice a month.
Sulphur Experts has a proprietary method. I'd like to know if is there an standard method, besides that one.

S!
Hi, Maddocks.
You did get the idea.
Dräger tubes can be used for estimates, however I don't know how it reacts in H2S stripper top gases.
In the catalog is not clear how the concentration of the species interfere (H2S and NH3) in the result.
It's said that the indication is not affected by 2000 ppm of H2S and SOx, but the H2S level will be much higher.
The other point is that we wish to have a lab procedure in order to do the analysis in regular basis, say once or twice a month.
Sulphur Experts has a proprietary method. I'd like to know if is there an standard method, besides that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back