Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Method to backward transfer across versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Picklefactory

Automotive
Jun 4, 2008
GB
Hi folks.
I'm still very much a newbie and I'm sure I've seen posts regarding this on here, but my searches are coming up blank so obviously not using the right terminology.

I have WF4 at home and WF3 at work, obvious problem is that ProE is not backward compatible.

Is there a way that I can transfer models from home to work so I can open and continue on the older version? My company are considering upgrading to WF4, but it probably won't happen for quite some time yet.

Could I export in another format (IGES/STEP etc) and use those, or is there another option I can try? I find it hard to believe that there is no way to do this, businesses must transfer files somehow when they have different versions.......... don't they?

Thanks folks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, there is no way to do this. This is the rule in the CAD business - you can pull up an old model in a newer software version, but not vice-versa.

Think about it - how could CAD vendors ever add new feature types if they had to support older software versions where such a feature had not yet been invented?

Now, you can export a STEP file from WF4, but it will lose all the intelligence and feature history. You will have a dumb lump of clay. You can add features to it, but there will be no way to edit existing features.

In WF5 there will be some ability to work on dumb models using direct face manipulation. This is why PTC bought CoCreate, who have been doing direct modeling since the early 90s.

Seimens has also built some very powerful direct editing functionality into NX6.

Ed

Look into the .neu Pro/E Neutral File format. Along with the Associative Topology Bus it can allow files to be opened on an earlier version and even exported with additional features. When opened in the later version WF4 all the features from WF3 are maintained. However additional .neu exports from WF4 show up as the correct geometry but the Featurization of the model isn't complete.

Michael

OK
Thanks guys.
I'll see what happens with the .neu format.

Regarding step files, am I right in assuming I could create a complete model part in WF4, save it as a .stp and use that in a WF3 assembly, as long as the part itself required no editing?

I think I'd probably be better trying to downgrade my home to WF3 :(

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back