Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

method to cut 'clear PETG tubing'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy

Mechanical
Jun 5, 2001
DE
I am looking for a simple method to cut 'clear PETG tubing'. The manufacturer only supplies in standard length and will not custom-cut for us. Wall thickness is only 0.5mm. We will cut about 300 per week.

I have tried manually cutting with a sharp knife, small hacksaw and a hot blade. The cut has to be burr-free. The hacksaw produces burr while the hotknife produces excessive melting.

Any ideas?
What is the standard method in the industry?

Cheers!
Speedy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are many type cutters made to cut plastic tubing and such. The types, fly cutters and guillotine type cutters were the ones we used. I’ll try to see if I still have information on them.

You might try a search on the these types of cutters.

A used machinery dealer specializing in extruders and downstream equipment could help you with unclesyd's suggestion. The puller/cutter combos I am familiar with are similar to this unit....
These type units are set-up to deal with continuous length production.

300 parts per week is a couple of hours work the way I described in my first post. Length tolerances are not good, however. I can hold about +/-.06" A little creative fixturing should solve that though....

Alternatively, there are simple air powered guillotine fixtures used by some manufacturers. I can't seem to find them right now. I know I've seen them marketed in Medical Product Manufacturing News. Or perhaps a local extrusion house would be willing to cut your tubes to length for a fee?

Would you mind sharing the tube OD and length requirements with us?

This may sound a little crazy. But why not try using something that cuts like an office paper cutter. it is basically a shear cut.

Hope this helps

Rotate tubing about 20 rpm.
Drive in scapel blade that cuts upward about 4 o'clock . (Tool for this.)
Apply water drip, or if dry, air-jet, & aim directly at the incision point to keep incision cool.
Clean cut no burrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back