Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

methods of detecting glycol in used lubricating oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhand

Civil/Environmental
Jan 5, 2004
CA
I hope I am in the right forum for this question. Does anyone know of a quick method of determining whether a batch of used lubricating oil has been contaminated with glycol? I've heard of some field tests such as the blotter test or patch test but was curious to know if there are any other faster and more accurate test available.

Thanks for any help/advise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

FIRST OFF: My lawyers make me say this warning: Anything dcastos says is all in jest and should not be followed unless backed up in writting by the readers Lawsyer, Doctors, state PE, and other advisors.

Taste it. spit it out and rinse with water. Glycol will taste sweet.

Has your wife agreed with that?..."other advisors"??? Mine sacked the Lawyer, Doctor, PE and instead hired my mother-in-law.
cheers,
gr2vessels

ok then...thanks

What about removal of a small amount of glycol(~5%)from used lubricating oil? Anyone?

...and yes dcasto, it did taste sweet...j/k

The vacuum dehydration processes are today the most effective ways of removing the contaminants (including glycol types) from the lubricating oil. There is a whole industry today recycling the used lubrication oil. A plant using a small vacuum pump and a few small stainless steel vessels can recycle and re-generate large volumes of used oils from stationary engines, turbines, long haul transport companies, you name it...
However, if you got 10 gals of contaminated oil, chuck it. Don't taste it, it's horrible..it makes you turn to grapa..
cheers,
gr2vessels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back