Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Methods to determine the minimum amount of acceleration a MEMS accelerometer can measure

Status
Not open for further replies.

supersnare

Electrical
Nov 15, 2017
GB
Hello all,

I'm currently doing research on MEMS accelerometers, frequency range dc to 1000 hz and accelerations less than 3ms^2 (0.306g), in comparisson to piezo electric ones. Since the noise floor of a MEMS sensor is inferior to that of a piezo my goal is to determine the smallest amount of acceleration that a MEMS can measure before the accelerations drown into the noisefloor of the sensor.
I'm using a PAK DAQ that handles the data comming from the piezo and MEMS under test, a signal generator that can generate various signals (sine, sweep, noise, etc) and a shaker. All sensors are attached to a large metal block on rubber feet.
My first guess is to put with noise with a low pass filter set to 1000hz and lower the amplitude untill the noise floor is reached.
Or maybe use a single sine at various frequencies and lower their amplitudes untill the noise floor get's reached.
Does anyone have experience with these kind of measurements and would like to share them with me?
Thanks for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back