Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Metric fastener grades

Status
Not open for further replies.

injb

Computer
Apr 20, 2018
US
Hi...I apologize if I'm asking this in the wrong place. I'm working on a car and looking to replace some old corroded fasteners. I want to make sure I'm getting the right grades for everything. The factory manual lists the torque settings along with a column named 'material' which contains either 8, 8.8 or 10 - so I take this to be the grade or 'property class'. When I look for fasteners online though, I only find 2 classes: 8.8 and 10.9. There's no 8 or 10. I've read up a little on this I found out that the first number is the tensile strength, and the second number is the yield strength as a percentage of that. Does that mean that where my manual lists just 8 or 10, they are saying that they don't care about the yield part, as long as the tensile strength is matched correctly, and they only list the .8 where it's particularly important? I'm concerned because I'm afraid if I use the wrong strength then the torque settings I have might not be correct, or the bolts might be too brittle or something. Thanks for your help in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ah, I completely missed that! Now that I look again, I can see that all the 8s and 10s are nuts and the others are bolts. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back