Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

metric socket wrench clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.

vscid

Nuclear
Aug 5, 2007
US
Where can I find metric socket wrench clearances ? I looked in the machinery handbook, but in vain.
thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on the wrench. I have some Craftsman sockets that have almost double the wall thickness of the same size Snap-On socket.

Timelord

Socket diameters can vary, by quite a lot, for both metric and imperial tools. Depends on the manufacturer, type of steel and expected use of the socket. Oh, and cost.

vscid - Tolerances for metric wrenches are listed under DIN 475-2 or ISO 691.
If you need just a few - post what size and I will get it for you. If you need many sizes - google and you may have to buy a book. Best source - "Beuth" ask for their English version of DIN 475-2 or ISO 691.

Just going to throw this out there, but any chance you would be able to let me know what the tolerance is for a 7mm wrench?

It would be greatly appreciated.

Tolerances for a socket wrench?

Realistically, can you really expect your "average" mechanic or millwright to have a socket in his toolbag that is so close to "not fitting" - given the above where socket walls between manufactorers and suppliers so differs greatly! - that you (as an original designer) needs to consider fabrication tolerances in order that HIS socket will fit between YOUR nuts?

I think you need more space. Or a specific, designated socket wrench YOU will supply WITH the machined flange YOU are selling that will permanently stay with that flange for as long as the flange will need maintenance...

I found my answer in another thread. Thanks.

Looking back I guess my question was not clear. I was looking for the standard clearance range between the flats of a open faced wrench and a nut/bolt head (DIN 475-2). I would like to use a hex head bolt in a non traditional way and want to insure that there is never an interference, so I figure the easiest thing to do is mimic the clearances on a wrench since there is never an instance were a wrench does not fit a nut/bolt.

So again sorry for not being more clear, and making you waste your time with an answer that is not applicable. Good day

As a quick check on project I have just used a standerd flat washer. If a standerd flat wash will fit then there should be room for the socket wrench.

Chris

"In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics." Homer Simpson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back