Meyerhof's correction factors for Bearing Capacity Calcs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelelo

Geotechnical
Aug 10, 2009
DO
Engineers,

As you may know, in the general bearing capacity equation there are correction factors that account for depth, shape and inclination.

Using Meyerhof bearing capacity DEPTH factors (see attached), I noticed the wider the footing the lower Fcd is, therefore will result in a lower the bearing capacity.

I am using Meyerhof's values as they are one of the most widely used.

However, does this make sense?. Please let me know your thoughts.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2617918b-544d-4dee-a3d7-d1fbe36962d3&file=factor.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A wider footing is more elastic, resulting in upward deflection mear the footing edge. If you have deflection in a footing, the soil load under the deflecting points must be lower than the parts of the footing that are more rigid. The net result is that the stress is higher under the more rigid regions of the footing. The equation therefore reduces the allowable soil stress for larger, more elastic footings. It in effect does not give you full credit for making excessively wide footings.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back