Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MGO dosing in boiler Gas pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smahsan

Mechanical
Mar 30, 2004
PK
Hi Dear's
My question is that, why we dose MGO in boiler gas pass and how?I m not much acknowledged about its function.
Thanks and regards
Ahsan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What type and size of boiler, what type of fuel, what type of air pollution control, or ash collection equipment, if any??

rmw

Thanks Dears
Here i make it confirm that type of boiler is Natural circulation and source of combustion is RFO and its for 1000ton/hr steam generation.We face some problem of sulphar deposits and the gas air heater elements choking but the thing is we dose it from Air side not from economiser out let flue gas duct side so is it appropriate to be dosed from air side or Gas outlet side?
We maintain Dew point very well.
we control smoke density verywell.
we maintain flue gas O2.
conlusion is maximum control for good combustion then why
We face Gas air heater elements deposits and choking problem even apply the soot blowing as well.
Your contribution will be my pleasure.
Regards
S.M.AHSAN

Thanks for the additional information.

I recognize MGO as (or was, at least, when I was involved with RFO) a component of fuel oil additives specifically formulated for RFO. The reason for it being added to RFO was to make the ash deposits soft and friable, so that they could be easily cleaned from the boiler/economizer tubes with soot blowers, etc.

Perhaps someone thinks that dosing on the air side will convey the MGO to the furnace where it will get involved with the combustion process, and carried to the boiler tube banks, rather than admitting it directly as a fuel oil additive. Or, maybe they are trying to add quantities that would be prohibitive as a fuel oil additive. I can't say.

I am not familiar with this method of dosing, but I think I recognize the end result that is trying to be obtained, ash deposition minimization, and control.

rmw

Thanks Dear's
I m also understood that when we have the control system is very fine then MGO fuction is to avoid deposition.We don't have MGO in RFO that's why added to the combustion part.The picture is quite clear to me now.
Thanks and regards
Ahsan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back