Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

microchip programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceMan30

Military
Jan 19, 2011
US
I'm working on a project where I'm programming an ARM microchip that acts as the "brains" on a custom board with other off-the-shelf components. In programming the ARM chip, you can program the other hardware components. Since I'm not overly experienced as a programmer, and not very familiar with hardware development, I've got some questions. I've been told that due to the nature of my custom board and what its doing (some high-speed timing stuff), I should use some flavor of RTOS. Now I've also been told that RTOS is not necessary as I can program commands for my components right into the ARM c-code compiler. What's the more correct or better solution? And how does this all fit in with interrupts (and particularly software-interrupts).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If this is a commercial project, you should rent an experienced programmer to help you figure out what to do and how to do it.

If it's a hobby project, do it both ways and learn.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Allow me to clarify...

Does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, comments, etc as to the use and effectiveness of an RTOS for microchip circuits for high-speed timing?

I was just trying to cast the proverbial "wider net" in regards to getting additional opinions and viewpoints.

:)

If you elect to not use an RTOS, I suggest that you:
- study the documentation for an appropriate RTOS.
- write your code AS IF you are using an RTOS, i.e.,
- keep the application code separate from the core hardware interface code, and
- make the interface to your core code look pretty much like the RTOS.
That way, you can easily plug in the RTOS if you need it.

Also, at the lowest level, try to encapsulate the code associated with each chip or IP block, and give it an interface that's independent of which type of chip it is. ... so you can later substitute a different chip or IP block with minimal impact.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

If it's high-speed timing I'm mostly interested in, I'll stay far away from an RTOS. An RTOS removes a level of control I want to retain. If timing is not the only thing I need to worry about, then I have to weight the pros/cons of having the RTOS baggage around.

What type of project is this for?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back