Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micropiles to stabilize slope - FHWA method

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESMOTS

Geotechnical
Jan 31, 2017
US
Hi, I am working on a micropile design to stabilize an active landslide, for which we are required to use the procedures in the 2005 FHWA manual for micropile design (NHI-05-039). The procedure gets pretty convoluted when it reaches the step of determining the shear capacity of a single vertical micropile.

The procedure directs you to break the micropile in two at the slip surface (location is known), flip the top portion upside-down such that the 'pile head' is the slip surface, and run p-y analyses (e.g. with LPILE) on the the two portions separately. The shear capacity is determined by applying shear force and bending moment boundary conditions at the slip surface, such that both analyses result in (1) equal slopes at the pile head (i.e. slip surface) and (2) maximum moment equal to the bending moment capacity of the micropile, determined in a previous step.

Per the procedure, the bending moment BC is adjusted until the slopes are equal, then the shear force BC is adjusted until the max moment = moment capacity. But of course, adjusting the shear force BC also affects the slopes, so the iterative procedure becomes a bit of a tail-chaser.

Or at least that is what I am seeing. Is anyone familiar enough with the FHWA micropile procedure to offer some guidance on this tortured p-y analysis?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Never used that method and splitting the pile is not recommended by Ensoft. I suggest you look at the LPile manual for other options to perform this analysis.

Mike Lambert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back