Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microscopes with parallel lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emer

Industrial
Aug 11, 1999
IE
Is anyone aware of an inspection system which would allow one to have two parallel lines of measurement instead of the traditional crosshair of X /Y plane. I want to have one line as a baseline or zero point and be able to set the other line a particular distance away - and inspect if all the points I need to measure are in between somewhere.<br>
This technique also needs to be fairly ergonomically compliant as an operator will be looking in between these two lines for up to 10 hours!<br>
<br>
Can anyone help?<br>
Thanks,<br>
Emer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not too sure which application this is for but in Land surveying we use an optical device known as a parallel plate micrometer which will measure over say a 10mm range with intervals of 0.2mm . This device is usually fitted to a level allowing measurements from about 1m to 100m (although that is pushing the accuracy a bit)

In precise levelling we usually stick to about 50-70m sightings.

&quot; Quality&quot; magazine's annual buyer's guidebook directory will provide you a number of suppliers. You could hook up an optical fiber ring with a light source and then hook it up to a monitor through a variable magnification microscope to get strainfree picture on a CRT. Check with Techmet Canada or any other similar supplier supplying PCB inspection equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back