Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Excel use with a PLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanUnger

Automotive
Nov 3, 2008
CA
Hello,

I am working on a PLC based system for testing automotive type alternators. I have a PC based oscilloscope which connects via live data link to an Excel spreadsheet. I use the spread sheet for collecting and printing test results. (rpm vs current plots, setpoint voltage, etc.)
How do I get the PLC to send instructions to Excel? Can Excel send instructions to the PLC? I want the system to do the sequences automatically and print out the result without input from the operator, once it is initialized.

NathanUnger

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Excel by itself can't send instructions to the PLC, you will need another piece of software to handle the communications between the two.
Depending on what type of PLC you have, and how you want to communicate with it, you should be able to find the right application.
There are a number of companies that offer OPC servers for most PLCs.
If you give us some more info on the PLC and type of communication, someone can probably help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back