Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

microstepping sequencer and microstepping indexer and microstepping translator\ 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bteddy1

Electrical
Apr 8, 2017
US
hello,

I am trying to teach myself about microstepping bipolar stepper motors. I have searched the internet, U.S.Patents, old circuit handbooks and found nothing but block diagram squares with a name in it.

I want to design/build my own discrete logic, no specilized I.C.s, not software based, not unipolar.
Could anyone tell me where to find information for:

"microstepping sequencer"
What is it? What does it do? How does it do it? Where can I find discrete logic schematics examples?
Where can I find design information (formulas, calculations, nomenclature, block diagrams)?

"microstepping indexer"
What is it? What does it do? How does it do it? Where can I find discrete logic schematics examples?
Where can I find design information (formulas, calculations, nomenclature, block diagrams)?

"microstepping translator"
What is it? What is it translating from? What is it translating to? How does it do it?
Where can I find discrete logic schematics examples?

"Stepper motor Control Logic"

Do they have different names they went by in the past?
Which one is newest?
Are they ever used in combination?
Can they all be used with bipolar stepper motors?
Where is this type of information stored, expired patents, public domain, expired copyrights, etc...

Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sure - what you need to learn is how to build a sinusoidal signal source that can apply a 90 degree phase to another sinusoidal source and then vary the phase angle in order to generate the intermediate or "microstep."

I expect this is usually done with microcontroller integrated circuits because it's far easier to manage as a digital process than trying to do this as a fully analog scheme. I know there are some people who have made discrete component processors, but the clock speeds aren't very high so unless this is for a proof of ability demonstration or just the fun of it (see the forum "engineers with hobbies") I'm not sure why one would ignore the thousands of engineering hours and decades of experience packaged into a relatively cheap chip.

3DDave:
"I know there are some people who have made discrete component processors, but the clock speeds aren't very high so unless this is for a proof of ability demonstration or just the fun of it (see the forum "engineers with hobbies") I'm not sure why one would ignore the thousands of engineering hours and decades of experience packaged into a relatively cheap chip."

Thank you for the reply. It is for the gaining of knowledge so I have the ability. I will use a P.C. or a microcontroller to send step and Dir signals to the stepper controller/driver that I hopefully design. I did say "discrete logic", meaning using AND, OR, NOT, XOR, multiplexers, decoders, and Op-Amps etc... One "ignores the prepackaged engineering hours and decades of experience" because it is not shared, it is what they provide not what is needed, a cheap chip is useless if it won't do what you need. Where did those engineers learn the basic knowledge to put in those thousands of hours and decades of designing? They had to start somewhere. As I said I would like the knowledge to be able to design my own.

Thank You

They learned it the old fashioned way - they did it themselves and not from books.

What do you need to do that isn't available?

3DDave:
"They learned it the old fashioned way - they did it themselves and not from books.
What do you need to do that isn't available?"

"They learned it the old fashioned way ..... not from books."
?????????????????????

"What do you need to do that isn't available?"
Sorry, that's a tangent and irrelevant to the question asked.

Could some else offer any help, please.

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back