Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microstructure and residual stresses prediction after laser beam weld

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanPipora

Materials
Mar 22, 2007
AT
Dear colleagues,

I would like to simulate the laser beam welding with the prediction of the residual stresses etc. as well as the final microstructure prediction. As far as I know, the FEM software Sysweld should be able to do that (but expensive).
Are there also another possibilites, e.g. another software? Is there anybody with experince on this area?

Thanks a lot.

Jan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
I can only reply for what regards Ansys.
The problem you want to simulate CAN be done with Ansys, EXCEPT the prediction of the allotropic changes.
In fact, there you have to set up a complicated non-linear coupled-field (thermo-structural) analysis where material properties change in function of temperature. For simulating local melting, "death-and-birth" of elements will have to be used.
Definitely a complicated simulation, but really not impossible.
Where is the problem? Here: unless you already have access to Ansys (at least a "Mechanical" license level; even a "Structural" is not enough because of the thermal part), the purchase of this license level is VERY expensive (but you get an extremely powerful general-purpose FEA software).

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back