Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Microwave doppler radar testing circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharmad_tad

Electrical
Feb 19, 2019
IN
We are developing a microwave doppler radar test circuit to achieve motion detection through walls. To begin with, for this application we need a Oscillator/frequency sythesizer ranging around 1-4GHz. Could suggest me a suitable oscillator device for testing purpose?
If possible, could you also suggest a compatible Multiplier/Mixer to give the IF output and an Antenna.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c1653f80-63a0-4cae-b224-5dc3a72d0ed8&file=doppler.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Search for: RCWL-0516

Modules available on eBay for $1 price class. Reportedly operates at about 3.2 GHz. I'm not sure if the design includes the baseband output (audio of the Doppler tone).

@itsmoked: Its not a school project. I have an idea, but lack the knowledge. Please give relevant answers if you have any. Thank you.

@VE1BLL: Already tried the readily available modules. So we plan to design a circuit from scratch.

Modules from eBay are quite often based on the applicable datasheet's example circuit. SO, at the very least, they provide a useful starting point (after cleaning up the design shortcuts often included) for any chipset or design concept.

Many of the other modules operate on 10.525 or 24.xxx GHz. That PN I mentioned was the only one I've seen that was in the lower frequency range that you mentioned. You'll have to consider the legal ISM bands in your Region and jurisdiction for this "Field Disturbance" application.

For Doppler, typically the LO is the transmitted RF. These days, the oscillator would presumably work directly at the operating frequency (without requiring a Multiplier).

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back