Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MIG weld low carbon steel to stainless steel tubing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountZero

Mechanical
May 15, 2003
CA
Hello All,

this is a rather rudimentary question, but I wanted to know if it's possible to MIG weld low carbon steel to stainless steel tubing, and why? My instincts say not under normal conditions because of their different compositions, but I'm willing to try it anyhow.

If anyone has any ideas, please send them my way.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes you can MIG weld carbon steel to stainless steel. On most applications you will be able to get away with using ER309L or ER309, but there are many exceptions depending on your base metal composition, joint, service requirements, etc. If mild steel wire is used, the deposit can very easily end up being brittle martensite.

Thanks guys.

That's what I thought. My instincts went in that direction. The reason I questioned it is because a couple techs said it couldn't be done, but I didn't fully believe them.

You made my day.

Cheers and stars to you.

Just to add to what rich and GRoberts already said, though it is possible to MIG weld cs to austenitic ss, the MIG process is not very easy to implement especially if you plan to use 100% Argon. 98% Argon + 2 %O2 is used world over with the 2% O2 improving the weld metal fluidity( I am not sure about the performance using He or Ar He mixtures). I would still prefer to use other process(es) namely SMAW, GTAW or FCAW depending on whether those processes can be used for the application you have.

Thanks and regards
Sayee Prasad R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back