Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mild steel flange with carbon steel flange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naif1981

Mechanical
Sep 29, 2009
SA
Hi

The flexible hose we have ordered came with flanged connection as per our requirement. but I found the flange material is mild steel ASA 300 while we asked for carbon steel flange material A 105 class 300

what i know is mild steel has low carbon content and is more malleable and it is not suitable to join 2 difference flange material. is this correct?

Also, ASA is the old name of ANSI, but is ASA 300 welding nick flange match ASME B16.5 class 300 (pressure rating)?

I am confuse otherwise i have to back this material to the supplier soon.

regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Perhaps you are misreading the product markings.

Find the catalog or cut sheet from which you ordered, and find the related sheet that explains the product markings.

Or ask the supplier's sales engineer to explain how, exactly, what you got is what you asked for.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

thank you all, I have already ask the supplier to check and the flange will be replace.

but I need clarification regarding join of 2 difference material flange, Is it accepted by ASME B31.3?

regards

If you can weld it to the pipe, yes. In this case, yes.

Check with your welding engineer for low to high alloy welds. You'll need a welding procedure anyway.

If the flange faces match, yes.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back