Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mile High Tower - Yikes! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm all for big mega projects, but this is absolutely ridiculous. what a waste!

Nice topic! When will we reach the Titanic of buildings?

The damping system will be intricate to control the sway! I cannot imagine the lift system! Parachutes in the event of a fire?

Robert Mote

JAE

Sway at top 2 to 3 m ? (6 to 10 feet)

Any other stabs ?

Still think its only a dream !

civeng80,

Well, at 5250 feet tall, and using a "standard" sway limit say of L/500, you get 10.5 feet like you suggested.

My coffee would certainly spill off my desk.

Features required near the top
Special coffee cup covers
Upchuck bags aligned along every hallway.
OSHA safety tie-off bars along the walls
Anti-sloshing baffles in each toilet
Extra wide urinals, for those who miss...
...or...belt tie-offs.
Rubber elevators
Dramamine pill dispensers
No wheels on any chairs
Tower-style computers no longer feasible - use flat desktop style
Everyone wears magnetic boots, football helmets, and shoulder pads.
No need to worry about pigeons roosting on the ledges.
and finally, the building may be designed not only for aircraft impact, but also satellite impact.

Usually the bankers limit the height of the buildings. Not so in the oil rich arab countries. The women in the right margin we pretty nice.

wds1

I see there is a picture of Goldie Hawn without the make up in there as well. Ages comes to us all I guess.

Have you guys ever heard what happened to Tower of Babel on the bible :).

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

I was thinking the same thing COE. Is there a purpose for a building of this height or just engineers trying to play God.

I hope it is designed to resist the impact and resulting explosion from a fully loaded 747 at cruising speed...

COEngineer:

And do you realize that our friend and good buddy Saddam tried to rebuild the ancient city of Babylon on the original site prior to his demise? Apparently he didn't read or believe Biblical prophecy either.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

The issue of sway has been solved, read the article:
"To resist the strong winds prevalent in the area and stop it swaying ........ it will be fitted with a giant computer-operated damper." [smile]

...until there is a disk crash.

I think these very very tall buildings, from an engineering standpoint, are very exciting. I think it is interesting to note the unique kinds of challenges that appear at different magnitudes of height that weren't realized with lower height buildings.

For example, for many years, many early skyscrapers (i.e. 10 stories) were built similar to the prevailing knowledge of the day.

Once buildings started getting a bit higher, the engineers suddenly realized that there was column shortening that had to be considered in getting the floor heights right.

I'm sure there are other "new" issues that developed at subsequent levels of height.

It just occurred to me. If you move from sea level to, say, Denver, El. 5280'+/-, there is a noticeable difference in atmosphere. If you're fit, it won't bother you, but you'll notice it. If you're not fit, it may bother you until you get used to it. And, it's not common, but you can have medical problems from an altitude change of that magnitude. Seems like there was an Air Force cadet that died a number of years back in Colorado Springs from high-altitude pulmonary edema.

My point being, do they plan to pressurize the upper floors? Or just let people deal with it? That could be an interesting challenge either way.

If they're smart, they'll put a special set of stairs in that building just so people can walk up for exercise. That would be pretty popular.

No worries. With all those executives, there will be plenty of pressure at the upper floors.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back