Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Miller vs Lincoln 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorcyclemac

Automotive
Oct 9, 2003
US
I am in the process of buying a TIG machine. I am stuck making a decision between the Miller 180SD and the Lincoln 175 Pro. I have researched them extensively on line and noted the various benefits. Cost isn't really enough different to worry about. I intend to use it mostly on stainless and aluminum...some carbon steel. Aluminum and stainless .125 and less. Mostly light fabrication. My confusion is created by the fact that all the fab shops I am ever in use the Miller machines. None of the shops locally have the Lincoln. The Lincoln machine seems better engineered and better constructed (sales pitch on the Lincoln web page). I have only ever TIG welded on Miller machines and wondered if anyone has any imput on the Lincoln or Miller machines and if one is better or worse at the tasks I intend to use it for.
Thanks
Bill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Concours:
Don't let colors fool you. Lincoln, Miller, Thermal Arc, ESAB, etc. all manufacture decent GTAW power supplies.
Miller is the machine of choice for most TIG welders and it is my first choice.

But I have used the Lincoln Squarewaves, TIG 300's, and many other models of power supplies. It is basically a personal choice. I like the "feel" of the Miller machines including Aerowaves, Syncrowaves and even the old AB/PB 200/300 series. I currently own a Thermal Arc machine and I am more than pleased with its performence. It was a gift from a client (I would have preferred a Miller, but was quite happy and very surprised the first time I used the machine.)

Go with the one YOU feel will do the best job for you. There are a million and one opinions on this subject, this is just one more. I am confident whatever color you choose, you will be satisfied with the performance. Now you can go to the Automotive Engineering forum to see if Ford, Chevy or Dodge will be your next car...

Concours,
Which ever gives you the best service and response in your locale. This is usually the reason one color dominates the other in a city or area.
Buying a welding machine is much like getting married - Once you've bought the package, you live with the service guys and changing packages due to personality conflicts is expensive.

Griffy

The lincoln has one advantage that I really like and that is stable arc at 4 volts < try welding a pop can>
mILLER i BELEIVE STARTS AT 40, Miller is a great machine on the top end for thicker stuff.
I have the licoln 275 pro and a Hobart 250 tig.
The hobart company is now owned by Miller.
Pick the choice that you like and give sthe best arc for your style of welding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back