Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

milling asphalt with recycled glass and soft plastics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randwicky

Civil/Environmental
Mar 31, 2019
AU
Does anyone know if there are any articles on the health/environmental impacts from milling asphalt that contains crushed glass and soft plastics?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How did you get glass and plastics in the asphalt? During the milling operation dust may be generated so I would wet the asphalt before milling and spray additional water from the discharged milled material. The workers and operators would be required to wear proper respirators while operating the milling equipment and while loading their dump trucks as milling continues. When reprocessing milled asphalt, I imagine that the plastic will burn off when the milled asphalt is recycled and mixed with new asphalt in a kiln. Glass may soften but I doubt it as the kiln temperature may not be high enough. Dust and fumes may be your greatest hazards so if in doubt, contact the industrial hygienists of your commercial insurance company to perform air sampling tests on the operator(s) of the milling equipment, the driver(s) of the dump truck(s) and those on the ground helping the milling operator(s) from contacting any metal covers protruding thru or imbedded in the asphalt. The insurance industrial hygienist will be in a better position to advise you.

Thanks Chicopee - we are looking at using crushed recycled glass as a sand aggregate and soft plastics will be in the asphalt mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back