Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Min. Number of Ladder per Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibro

Structural
May 7, 2005
US
We are designing support platform about 23 ft above ground for cooling towers. I am assuming that required number of caged ladder depends on size of platform. Any references? I have searched OSHA w/o success.
Thanks,

Ibro V.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not aware of a specific requirement either. Tank roofs normally have 1- ladder regardless of size, for example.

As I recall, OSHA does specify that if used regularly (IE, daily), a stairway should be used rather than a ladder.

Means of Egress is discussed in OHSA 1910.35 - 37 (Subpart E). Design details for ladders is discussed in 1910.27. If the platform is just for operations and/or maintenance to the cooling towers I would think only 1 ladder is required. If the platform is part of a route for plant personnel to exit the area during an emergency then the platform is part of the means of egress and I don't think you could even use a ladder, you would have to use stairs.

NFPA-101-2000 (Life Safety Code)sections 7.2.9.1 (3) and 40.2.2.10 allows ladders as a means of egress to platforms whose intended occupancy doesn't exceed 3 people at any one time.

2 is more popular for us if a platform has signifcant sizes (e.g. 20ft or larger), for access and egress purposes. Usually, the number is req'd or determined ay Piping or clients.

In process plants, lots of cases, platforms are interconnected by ladders and stairs, no platform is a dead end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back