Min. preheat and inner pass temp for SA516-70 8" thick

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASMEQC

Mechanical
Feb 27, 2013
US
Hello All,
Where would be the best spots to research a recommended pre-heat and inner-pass temp for SA516-70 plate that is 8-1/4" thick.
Thanks in advance for and reference.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thread 393715 on this forum might be a good place to start

Edit: I thought the forum made automatically a link from the thread number?
thread507-393715

Look at the code of construction for preheat information, which is based on chemistry and thickness. The maximum interpass temperature should never fall below preheat and is specified to avoid excessive heat input into the material.

First off thank y'all for the responses
metenger... i must be missing something i have been looking in ASME VIII div.1 and XI and i have not found anything regarding preheat other than 50 degrees.

I would recommend a minimum preheat and interpass temperature of 200F with low hydrogen (H4) processes. It will be difficult for you to achieve an interpass temp greater than 300F with the recommended minimum preheat.

weldstan.... thats along the range i was thinking. These test plates are very expensive i just wanna make sure i am right.
david339933.... Appendix R only has the recommendation of 175 degrees for plate over 1".

Thank you all for the info

AWS D1.1, Annex I has an approach that is more conservative than other welding standards I've worked with. It is based on the chemistry (carbon equivalency) of the base metal, the potential for introducing hydrogen into the weld pool, and the degree of restraint. Considering the thickness you are welding, I would consider it to be highly restrained.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back