Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mine High Wall Collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-coal-mine-death-toll-six-47-missing-rescue-resumes-2023-02-24/[/URL]]The mine was buried under a pile of debris half a kilometre (1,600 feet) wide and an estimated 80 meters (260 feet) high, said state broadcaster CCTV.

A second landslide halted rescue efforts, state media reported, with the risk of more collapses very high. 2023-02-24

So, that's around 10 million cubic meters (13 million cubic yards) of material that needs to be moved to find all victims. Additionally, they need to make sure the adjacent overburden does not cause a third slide.

And then it stops about 25 seconds later. Though I think the rocking is the land it's sited on that's moving. Which admittedly would rock the camera.

It looks like those guys knew something was up, and were leaving as fast as they could. And some even made it.

Really a sad thing to watch.

spsalso

It would be one thing if the workers were leaving of their own accord but an entirely different matter if they were sent in to secure vulnerable company assets in the face of imminent danger.

Should we expect an independent inquiry?

Independent inquiry in China? I'm hoping more survivors are discovered, but timing is not great for that.

Hopefully, open pit mining operators around the world will take another look at the cut slopes people are working under. The steeper those slopes can safely be, the less overburden must be removed to access the profitable material. If those slopes aren't stable, we have this situation. 10 million cubic meters of material means it was a massive slide, as evidenced in the video clip.

In the Linktin video, I believe there is a line of drilling equipment near the face of the bench, yet the bench appears to give way from the back edge (extreme right). Just curious. I guess from the weight of higher tiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back