Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mini-caisson analysis in L-Pile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zrebse

Geotechnical
Nov 5, 2012
US
I am running an LPile analysis for a circular micro-caisson with one reinforcing bar running down the middle. The purpose of the analysis is to verify that the caissons will pass field lateral load tests. Since this particular configuration is not one of the nine cross sectional shapes that can be analyzed in LPile v5, I am attempting to convert the cross section into an equivalent section using a transformation factor (the ratio of the moduli of elasticity). I know I need to transform the moment of inertia, but do I also need to transform the area and diameter? I found an example where the area was transformed by scaling using the transformation factor and I current figure out exactly why that was done. I haven’t been able to locate a technical manual (I have the user’s manual) which I imagine would include an explanation of the calculation method. Any insight and/or technical references would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back