Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum 1500MPa tubular for use in seawater application

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalMickey

Materials
Dec 6, 2002
AU
I'm looking for a CRA grade with 1500MPa Yield in tubular or forged condition for use in a pipeline application. The item will only be exposed to seawater in the event of accidental extreme conditions but requires resistance all the same. Size of around 400MM OD with a maximum wall thickness of 5mm. Any suggestions since I seem to have topped out the Inconel grades already. Weldability is not required, but machinability is.

Many Thanks,

MM

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This kind of question scares people because of the obvious problem associated with using high strength materials around corrosive environments. If you use a precipitation hardening stainless you can get the strength, but your life under tensile stress and seawater exposure is limited. If that's within your allowable parameters, there are options to pursue. But, if that is acceptable, maybe just a martensitic steel will do the job, stainless if necessary to delay SCC failure under accidental seawater exposure.

Many Thanks, I was not looking to scare anyone, under the accidental sewater flooding the compressive and buckling stress the item in subjected to is diminished, due to load sharing. A titanium alloy would work, costing is the issue as ever unfortunately. Looks like a PH grade will the best overall solution, thanks for the sanity check.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back