Minimum Crane Stability Design Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

fzlo

Electrical
May 28, 2021
US
Greetings,

I'm trying to find the code that has the Minimum Crane Stability. The only information I have is that it's from a Technical Specification Section 4.4 and I can't seem to find it. The reason I'm looking for this code is because I'm trying to see if the Lifted Load (LL) and Stall Torque Load (STL) are calculated together when doing the stability calculation. From one of the previous jobs that I did, STL wasn't calculated with the LL and I just wanted some clarification on this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

fzlo,

Please provide additional information on exactly what your question or problem is. I don't understand what your question is. Include where you are designing this crane will be used and what code you are designing with. Also include what kind of crane you are using.

Jim

Hi Jim,

It's a ship-to-shore container crane that we will be using at Fernandina Beach. The codes we were using are ASD 14th edition by AISC, FEM 1.001 3rd edition, CMAA Specification #70. I'm just trying to find the right load case for the stability report. We have it listed as dead load + trolley load + lift system + lifted load + Operating wind + Stall Torque Load but I wasn't sure if Lifted Load needs to be in that load combination.

fzlo,

I have never designed a container crane, so I am unfamiliar with specific requirements, however I can not imagine not including the lifted weight in stability calculations.

Jim

Isn't the lifted load the whole point? Is there an impact load also someplace? It's been a long time since I've messed with cranes of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back