Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum Crosswalk Width

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOHSEngineer

Civil/Environmental
Oct 30, 2008
US
The minimum crosswalk width in North Carolina is 6'. Does anyone know if the ADA has any requirements of minimum crosswalk width?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some time ago, the Access Board had a project to draft ADA standards for streets and sidewalks ( I couldn't find anything that said they were adopted. One of the proposals was a requirement for crosswalk width:

X02.5.4.5 Width. Crosswalks shall be at least 8 feet wide

Advisory: The minimum width of the crosswalk should be measured from inside edge to inside edge in the case of parallel crosswalk markings or any markings that use parallel bordering lines, and from outside edge to outside edge in the case of piano key crosswalk markings or any other markings that do not use parallel bordering lines.

Discussion: The MUTCD requires a minimum of 6 feet of width for a crosswalk. Since blind, visually impaired and wheelchair users must pass each other in a crosswalk in an environment that demands rapid crossing times in vehicular controlled spaces, it is important for crosswalks to provide adequate width so quick and easy passing occurs without delaying clearance of the crosswalk.

The MUTCD (Section 3B.17) states:

Guidance:
If transverse lines are used to mark a crosswalk, the gap between the lines should not be less than 1.8 m
(6 ft). If diagonal or longitudinal lines are used without transverse lines to mark a crosswalk, the crosswalk
should be not less than 1.8 m (6 ft) wide.

"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail." - Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

"I'm searching for the questions, so my answers will make sense." - Stephen Brust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back