Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum design pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgiani84

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2007
AR
Hi, I´m designing a vessel using ASME VIII and a I want to know if there is a minimum design pressure that I have to consider.

The design pressure of the process is 22 PSI. Can I use 30 PSI or I have to use a bigger value?

Thanks,

MG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mgiani84,
For the minimum design pressure, refer to ASME VIII Div 1, Clause U-1(c);- it has specified 15 psi.
The lowest design pressure allowed by the process conditions, including any pressure surges, temperature excursions and other conditions, is the most economical design condition and is good engineering practice to use the process specified design pressure plus a small margin, say 5-10% or even less, to allow for unexpected conditions. The proposed 50% increase in design pressure has to have a good justification, otherwise it contradicts the good engineering practice. If nothing prevents you selecting say, 25 psi design pressure, why would you design for 30 psi or more, increasing the vessel components thickness, weight and costs unnecessary.
cheers,
gr2vessels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back