Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum distance between fillet weld and Buttweld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnrem

Petroleum
Feb 23, 2010
DZ
Dears;

I have to weld a weldoloet on a small piece of pipe. This small piece of pipe is buttwelded to 02 weldneck flanges from each side.
I would like to know the minimum distance that I have to provide from the weld (buttweld between pipe and WN flange) to the fillet weld (of the weldolet on the piece of pipe).
Piece of pipe is 6" schedule 40 (7.11mm).

Can'I expect your help?

Many thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is so much controversy about this subject. I predict that you will get answers that range from 4 times the wall thickness of the (6") pipe to one times the diameter of the 6" pipe.

All of them can be correct or incorrect depending on the mood and background of the assembled contributors.

If it were left up to me I would make the weld where I need (or want) to make it and then have a Welding Engineer inspect it. If the "Heat Affected Zone" of the two welds overlap then I would have the shop put it in the oven and "Normalize" the weld.

During different phases in fabrication i have found the answer to this question to be different, depending on the situation. Usually I try to keep it to within 3 inches between the base of the welds. This is a non technical approach but safe enough to be within standards. However I have fabricated pieces with welds only 3/8 of an inch between bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back