Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum pavement falls for drainage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomfh

Structural
Feb 27, 2005
AU
I am repaving around my pool. The minimum gradient I would ordinarily specify (1%) is going to be a hassle. It makes it hard to reach drain points. What's the realistic minimum I can get away with? Will 0.5% be ok? The pavement runs are 10m. So 50mm over 10m...

The subbase is well consolidated. It's not going to move much from here on.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are walls around the pavement. Garden wall. House wall. Etc.

I have two drains at present, and would prefer not to add another as it means cutting up concrete etc, and adding new pipes.

The flatter you get the more the surface finish matters, both roughness and direction of texture.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

I have two drains at present, and would prefer not to add another as it means cutting up concrete etc, and adding new pipes.

I am repaving around my pool.

I still think it is easier to add a few drains tied to the existing ones. But, if you prefer not to, I suggest add ditches around the pool, so you can slop towards the edges. Actually, if you don't mind ponding here and there, why slope at all, the areas around the pool will always be wet anyway.

The nicest surface I've seen around a pool is made from a mixture small pebbles and resin. The surface is comfortable to walk on, non-slip, and water drains quickly through the porous material so there is no ponding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back