Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum Pipe Length Between 45 Bends

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliciam

Civil/Environmental
Apr 7, 2008
US
When making a 90 degree turn in pipe and using two 45s, is there a standard minimum pipe length for PVC (mechanical joint ductile iron fittings)? Does the length vary depending on the diameter of the PVC?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For potable water or sewer force main PVC, you should just need room for joint restraints.
Three feet should be fine for the minimum distance between fittings on pipes up to 12" diameter. I think you need to go to four feet for 14"-16".
You can find dimnesional information on restraints at ebaa.com.

If you don't see this issue covered in EBAA Iron's literature it may not be a bad idea to give them a call and ask them this question directly. If the bends are in the same plane, a very short spool will result in wedges exerting in effect double radial forces essentially at basically the same "clock" location/line on the very short pipe spool. I believe PVC, even of the heaviest schedules, has limited ability to in long-term handle localized loads at notches etc. (and maybe glands shouldn't be messed with at all under pressure, as taught e.g. graphically in at least extreme case at ).

All that being said, I guess there could be some lesser concern with say DR13.5 or 14 4" pipe at very low pressure than with much larger diameter pvc pipe at very high and cyclic pressures? [Remember also if you put the two 45's very close together, you essentially have a 90 degree pipeline bend, and the "45" length of restraint in either direction off that compound bend may not be adequate or safe).

Thanks for your replies. As a general rule of thumb we try to keep spool pieces at least 2 feet long. I overheard someone today say no spool pieces less than 18" long. I may just call and see if they have specific guidelines.

rconner - Ouch to breaking both legs!

It will depend somewhat on the particular manufacturers joint that you are using, but the megalug joint for example does not transmit radial forces onto the pipe. EBBA Iron states that the thrust load is primarily longitudinal.

Here is a brochure describing the history of the megalug for ductile iron pipe:

The wedges on the megalug are typically 4 to 5-inches apart which gives an indication of the zone of influence of the restraint on the pipe.

I agree with rconner that it is best to call the manufacturer of the restraint that you plan to use and get technical advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back