Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum radius for vertical concave /convex curve in belt conveyors

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHARLESCOSTA

Structural
Aug 26, 2007
IN
What is the exact formula for minimum radius of vertical convex /concave curves in belt conveyors.Different books like rodenko/alexendrov/handbooks give differntformulae.I 've checked the design of a few conveyors in my plant and as per the formulae i have ,the radius come out to be around 250m for most of them . However actual radius given is 75 to 100m.There is no problem with those conveyors which have fluid couplings even with less radius.However belt of those conveyors which have pin bush type couplings leave the carrying idlers during starting .So another question is that in calculating radius should we use belt tension for pull out torque or operating belt tension. Also where do i find the elastic modulus of cotton belts and nylon belts with rubber cover.Indicative values will do. Belt supplier is not responding.Thanks in advance for replies

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back