Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum radius of sag bends in a pipeline 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpwrocky

Petroleum
Jun 21, 2001
US
I am trying to determine the amount of deflection allowable in a buried pipeline, using the trench to flex the pipe, without exceeding the maximum allowable stress on the pipe. I am taking into account internal pressure. The temperature is not a factor, as the fluid is at ambient ground temperature. I am using 12.75" o.d., API 5L-X42, 0.25 w.t. pipe at 150 psig internal pressure, and have done a hand calculation based on maximum bending moment. I came up with 41" deflection per 100 ft of pipe. I just don't have the references to be confident that what I have done is correct. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Chris,

The Pipeline Rules of Thumb Handbook, Gulf Publishing Company, Houston, TX has a section that addresses stress calculations for cold bends and would be a valuable addition to your reference library.
It also contains a section on strain calculations for laying pipelines in a curved trench.
Basically figure the amount that the pipe will be stretched on the outside of the arc as it is bent, compute the srain from the change in length (deltaL/L), and then the stress can be found from E=stress/strain
Jeff

Thanks, JeffH - I found the Rules of Thumb Handbook, and sure enough there was exactly what I was looking for! I feel good that my method was basically on target - I was within 2' of their answer. Nothing like reinventing the wheel! By the way, the ROT Handbook doesn't take into account the stress imparted by the pressure of the gas in the pipeline.

Thanks again - what a geat resource!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back