Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum steel reinforcement for concrete encasement

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsbmusicguy

Structural
Mar 21, 2019
US
Hey all,

I am providing a concrete encasement at the bottom of a steel column to protect the column from the exposure to dirt, salt, etc. Note this will not be structural since I have designed the other components to take the full loads. I used ACI to calculate the required area based off of minimum reinforcement for connections between members and foundations, 0.005*Ag which seems very conservative (I am required to have 8-#6 bars which seems way too much).

Is there any other provisions for minimum reinforcement for a nonstructural concrete encasement?

Thanks for any help,

RSB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Without any other guidance in code, I'd do the same thing. You don't want that concrete cracking and spalling. And #6's aren't that big.

I agree with you - the push back is coming from my manager but they can't justify/prove to me how to minimize the rebar size...

RSB

I'd be fine with #4 @12" about the perimeter for something like this. Really, the ties will probably be more important to integrity and durability of the encasement than the verticals. Heck, I'd even be willing to go WWF were it not for the fact that I'd like to see something doweled into the foundation. Galvanized or epoxy coated rebar might be nice for durability if there's money available for that.

I'd probably treat it like skin reinforcing - #3 bars on the sides at say 10" with #3 ties at 1', or something like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back