Minimum Strength of Outdoor Wall Bricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmgczb

Structural
May 12, 2021
CN
Snap1_pfnxmw.png

In which American code or standard is there requirement of minimum strength of outdoor wall bricks? International code is also OK.
In this country, the compressive strength of brick is 10MPa.But 13MPa is required in our project specification. Now I have to break this limit through calculation. But I don't know in which book and code are there design valves of compressive strength of wall, like Chinese code shown in the picture below?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Brick is a term normally used for clay masonry. The term "block" is often used for concrete masonry (i.e. CMU).

Which do you have and what is your concern about the strength?

Tmgczb:
Generally, the strength of the brick or conc. block will not be the limiting issue. But, its durability against environmental issues such as wind, rain, sun, general abuse, will/can be. Improperly made brick or block can just deteriorate due to the weather. For these kinds of walls, the bigger issue is total wall strength and stability against lateral loads, like wind, EQ, unbalanced soil or water pressure on one side, people or equipment lateral loads, etc.
LittleWheels offers a good link to start your reading.

The bricks themselves can be made from fired clay or from concrete. Both materials are masonry. Clay bricks are commonly called 'bricks' and concrete bricks are often known as 'blocks' or more correctly 'concrete masonry units'. When you asked about outdoor wall bricks, I automatically assumed clay bricks, perhaps incorrectly. Solid bricks suggests clay bricks with a frog, rather than perforated clay bricks. Are you actually referring to concrete blocks or clay bricks?

Mortar between bricks or blocks is almost always a cement mortar or sometimes a lime mortar. 'Clay mortar' is very rare and is almost never codified in national standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back