Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minimum window/wall distance from Edges or corners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashhafPE

Structural
Mar 24, 2005
US
Codes, books, ...etc state for an 8' wall a minimum distance for doors/windows from the corners or re-entrance corners is 2'-4". Is there anyway around that using full studs + sheathing the inside & outside with plywood with 3" o.c. nail spacing. For a distance of 12" or 16". Typical one story residence with comp. shingles and 5:12 pitch. The wall length is approximately 15' wide. I understand by adding plywood inside I decrease the shear in half and increase the capacity however, the distance is not met.???
Any clarifications for my confussion will be helpfull.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The maximum aspect ratio of 3.5:1 applies regardless of the shear seen tin the wall. That is accommodated through variations in the nailing and stud size.

If you need a shorter shearwall length, you can do one of two things:

1. At the foundation level, you can raise the concrete stem wall until the plywood shearwall aspect ratio os 3.5;1 or less, or

2. You can do a perforated shearwall analysis. There have been discussions regarding this in the forum.

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back