Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Minor Axis Bending & Prying on Wale of Sheet Pile Dock Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewh0002

Structural
Jul 12, 2024
US
I am working on a project where we are installing a new steel sheet pile bulkhead dock wall in front of an existing deteriorated sheet pile wall. The new bulkhead dock wall will have a double channel wale along the backside of it with tie-rods extending to a sheet pile anchor wall. My concern is with the design of the wale. In my experience and review of available references, the wale is primarily designed for transferring loads from the bulkhead wall to the anchor wall in major axis bending. However, won’t the material and any surcharge directly above the wale induce some minor axis bending and prying on the wale bolts? The backfill material below the wale may provide some support but only if it is properly consolidated and tight to the underside of the wale. The only time I’ve seen a bracket plate installed below the wale is when the tiebacks are installed at an angle. Is there a way to mitigate this minor-axis loading & prying or am I missing some other restraining force? I haven’t found any references that address this. Thanks!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=65247bb7-f61f-4d80-88c9-a9b8a99ac9b7&file=20240712193948012.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What you are describing is typically ignored in the design of the wale. But I think if you check the additional shear and tension on the bolt caused by the small amount of soil above the wale, the bolt will be OK.

DaveAtkins

Dewh0002 said:
The new bulkhead dock wall will have a double channel wale along the backside of it with tie-rods extending to a sheet pile anchor wall.

SheetPileWale-600_biyywr.png

What is the purpose of wales on the backside? From the posted image, other than relying on sheeting interlock,the sheeting is restrained only at the specific locations where the "wale bolts" go thru the sheeting.

@Slideruleera There's a big plate washer that provides decent bearing area. You have the bolts at every sheet not just where the tie rods are. When you have a waler on the front it's only the out pans that are supported. With waler on the back it's the in pans supported. Keeps the front clear so boats can come in and rise/fall on the tide and not get mooring ropes caught up.

Smoulder said:
...bolts at every sheet not just where the tie rods are.

That makes sense, thanks.

I know why the wale is on the back side (boat mooring), I worked in a coastal region, but had not come across this design before... a good solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back