Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Minumum Space Required on Perm. Elevated Maintenance Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBell47

Structural
Jan 14, 2004
US
Hello.

I'm trying to determine if there is an O.S.H.A. requirement pertaining to minimum square footage of a "permanent elevated maintenance platform". It is adequately handrailed (3'-6" Abv. Grtg.), has a caged ladder access, and an owner specified safety gate at the upper access point.
I'm faced with a situation that requires a permanent structure with a minimal area (due to limited space available) where two workers can perform maintenance on an electronic transmitting device located approx. 10 feet Abv. Fin. Flr..

Is there, per OSHA or BOCA, a minimum amount of space required on this platform that will facilitate two workers simultaneouly.

Thank you in advance for any assistance with this question.
(I also posted this inquirey in the "OSHA Regs. Forum)

TBell

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

By the lack of responses, I assume no one knows of any such requirement. I don't.

There is a minimum size for ladder rest platforms (24"x30", as I recall).

Tbell47,

I have designed many service and access platforms and do not recall a specific instance where OSHA, the local bldg code or ASCE-7 controlled the square footage.

With that said, be aware that if your technicians are servicing an electrical panel (or device) there are specific clearances in and around the component. You will need to check these.

Valves and mech devices also have minimum access and service requirements.

You will also need to know the type of tools the service persons will require, these may take up platform space.

(and, OSHA does have minmum sizes for access ladders and stair cases)

Check out

JJF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back