Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mirror Maint

Status
Not open for further replies.

FabproHelp

Mechanical
Dec 1, 2015
US
I have recently gotten to the point where I need to clean most of my mirrors. Does anybody here do all the cleanings by themselves or does everyone pay somebody to come in and clean them all. I am looking at
-output mirror
-folding mirror
-rear mirror
-shutter mirror
-B.P.L.U mirror

all of these maintenance timers are about to be due.

The machine is an Amada FO-3015 with a 160I-L control

In addition, I am supposed to change my gas filter. I ordered the part and it seems as though the part number I found on my laser reference guide doesn't fit what is in the machine currently. Looks like they have two threaded ends 1/4" NPT but the machine is larger. Is this normal? So far the Amada reps seem clueless to what I am talking about.

Thanks to all!!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have Amada come out and clean mirrors. pay Amada or someone who knows what they are doing and watch them then you should be able to do it yourself next time.[worm]

I don't generally work on amada but what i do is if the customer wishes is simply show him what I do as I service the optics. Some of these machines are a little tricky and if you don't do it often you never really get good at it. I used to train techs so it's easy for me. I picked up a lot of tricks that makes it easier to learn. Just like the techs, some customers pick it up right away, some never seem to get it.

Chris Krug Maximum Up-time, Minimum BS

The oscillator internal mirror cleaning and alignment requires skills and it is not easy to do. You have to perform peaking to make sure the mirrors are aligned. if you remove the mirror from the holder you have to run a discharge and tighten the mirror holder. Leak check and aging process need to be performed once you open the oscillator to the atmosphere. You have to do the external mirror cleaning and alignment as well after the internals. A days work for all of these.

I've been doing our own for 20 years because they seem too stay clean longer but you need the proper soap, isopropyl alcohol and Texwipe. I just did 3 lasers on Saturday but cleaning them is one thing now you have to do the alignment and that can be scary until you do it for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back