Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mirror volume and extrude area in ANSYS APDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oruba17

Structural
Feb 14, 2012
US
Hi,

1- What is the GUI command for mirroring a volume at a specific distance? Is it VSYMM (Reflect>volume)? I tried that but it only reflects the volume about the global coordinates not at a distance! And if I have to define another coordinate system to reflect about it how can I do so?

2- I want to extrude and area using VOFFST, the GUI command shall be like VOFFST,NAREA,DIST in which NAREA is the area number that I want to extrude. In such a case I have to know the area number in advance or I can choose it by picking the area manually. What if I want to select the area based on location? So as VOFFST command will know which area to extrude automatically, what is the command line for this?
I know that I can go to SELECT>ENTITIES>AREA (BY LOCATION) and that will select only the area in the coordinate I specify. But still every time I need to do the VOFFST it will ask me for the area number again?! Any ideas?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1- This could be done in two steps.
a- Use VSYMM to generate a symmetric volume.
b- Use VGENN to move that volume to specific distance you want. When using VGENN, make sure you select 'move original volume' option, and NOT 'generate additional volumes'.

2- To select an area using command line, use ASEL. You would have to enter a coordinate where the area is located, but if there are multiple areas on that coordinate or location, it will select all. So you might have to use ASEL twice; first time to define area location using one coordinate, and second time to pinpoint that area using another coordinate. For example

ASEL, S, LOC, X, 0, 10 (this will select all areas between 0 and 10)
ASEL, A, LOC, Y, 0, 5 (if both commands are used together, it will modify the selection by selecting areas from 0-10 on x-axis also on 0-5 on y-axis)

Hope this helps.

Haris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back