Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mirrored but not associated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figbash

Mechanical
Apr 10, 2003
US
Is it possible in Solid Works to create a mirrored part and then break the association with the original part? I have a fairly complex part that I would like to mirror and then add or remove certain features from it that would make it different from the original.

Thanks,

Tom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The functionality to break the link was added in 2008. If you're using a previous version you will not have the ability to break the associativity between the mirror and its parrent.

Cole M
CSWP, CSWST, CSWI, CPDM
HP XW4300, 3.4g proc, 2.5g RAM, ATI Fire GL 3100
Dell M90, Core 2 Duo, 4g RAM, Nvidia Quadra FX2500M
Equus (custom), P4, 3.4g proc, 3g RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX3400

Safe to install 2008??? Almost might as well go to 2009 at this point. Service pack 1.0 is pratically released. It's been out for a couple of months already!

Cole M
CSWP, CSWST, CSWI, CPDM
HP XW4300, 3.4g proc, 2.5g RAM, ATI Fire GL 3100
Dell M90, Core 2 Duo, 4g RAM, Nvidia Quadra FX2500M
Equus (custom), P4, 3.4g proc, 3g RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX3400

We like to stand back and wait for all the bugs and glitches to be hashed out of a new release before jumping in. It'll be at least another year before we consider using 2009. I wouldn't buy a first model year car for the same reason.

Related question - When you mirror a part is there a way to make the properties go with it?

Part A = Square with 1/4-20 hole in it
~mirror part~
Part B = Just an empty solid. Using the hole call out on the drawing does not work.. the information was not transferred.

I am on 2007 SP5. Maybe the new versions have fixed this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back