Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mirrored part drawing dimensions do not mirror 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

duk748

Mechanical
Jul 18, 2007
US
hello - I have a need to make a right & left handed part - I saved the right hand part as a copy under a new name - opened the new part & then mirrored the part - re-saved the new mirrored part - opened the right hand part drawing & saved it as the new part - opened the mirrored part & set references to the new part drawing & saved the mirrored part - when I opened the mirrored part drawing the part was mirrored but the dimensions were not mirrored - could someone point me in the right direction as to how to correct this - any help or info would be greatly appreciated - than k you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dimensions in SW are not "smart", per se. They will update in a view if you change a part slightly, but center marks and such will not. Mirroring the part is too drastic a change for SW to know to update the drawing accordingly. You're not moving the dimensions, you are relocating them, therefore breaking their association from the lines they are extended from. You'll have to re-dimension them, or, if the two parts are on the same drawing, settle it with a note that states "unless otherwise shown, dimensions are identical to item number XXX".

-E
M.E.

Your process to create the mirror part is more complex than necessary. Go to your original part. Select the plane that you want to mirror about, then insert>mirror part. This will create a new file that is a mirror of the original.

Now as far as documenting it. What the others have said above is correct, there is no magic way to get all the dims there. What you may be able to do... if your fabricators can understand it is to show an iso of the mirror part as well as a note that states XXXXXXX is a mirror of YYYYYYY. I have used this in the past with great success. If the part is complex, I would recommend against it however and just manually dimension it. The nice thing is, you have already done the hard part of figuring out the best way to dimension it. Now you just have to replicate it... as a mirror.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Pretty good with SolidWorks

I've submitted this as an enhancement request. Please do the same. Maybe they'll find a way to get Solidworks to be smarter and recognize opposite hand parts.

David
Connect with me on LinkedIn. Quote: "If it ain't broke, I must not've fixed it good enough"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back