Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mirrored Part Drawing - Model Dims off in Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssmithdigilab

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2009
US
I have a part that was created by mirroring another part. I used the "insert mirror part" command. I broke the link to the original part during creation. I now see all of the features for my mirrored part in a folder called B0014030_Mirrored Features1.

However, when I try to create a drawing for my mirrored part the model dimensions show up wrong. They show up as if they are dimensioning the original part that is no longer there. Is there a way to have the model dimensions correctly attached to the mirrored part in the drawing?

Attached is the mirrored part for your reference. Note that if you try to create a drawing and show the model dimensions, they will be off in space as if they are dimensioning the original part, not the mirrored one.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you have to open your mirrored part and re dimension the part to it self. Now the part is dimensioned to relative dimensions of original part. Delete dimensions in mirrored part that are tied to original, and re dimension to mirrored part. I usually have the origon X,Y,and Z dimensioned to the part, both original and mirrored. you should make the original part and mirror plane with this in mind when you start drawing original part.

Attached is a screenshot of the drawing. I've only shown the model dimensions for Extrude1. The depth of the extrusion, 1.969 [50] is shown the opposite way that it should. The witness line that is "off in space" should extend to the curved radius on the opposite side of the part.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5ce2738c-34d6-48a9-805a-b4cb4f39d6db&file=B0014031_DWG_Screenshot.JPG
Art,

I wouldn't really have a problem re-dimensioning the part if that could be done. Unfortunately, I don't believe it can. Each feature listed in the model tree belongs to the original "left side" model except for the last feature. The last feature, "Body-Move/Copy1", is what gives me the "right side" model. Therefore none of the other features are linked to this model. If I suppress the body-move feature, I am left with the "left side" model. None of the features in this left side can be re-dimensioned to make it the right side.

I do not think it is achievable. You are stuck with using reference dimensions. But I do not see a point in breaking the link & then re-dimensioning. That will make both parts un-linked & you will have to change both parts individually in case of a revision. Any special reasons for this?

This is a very common limitation with mirror feature. You will find plenty of posts on Internet about mirror part drawing. SWX use your original part & mirror the all body/bodies of part to create mirror part & links all the properties(which you can choose to break). I would be happy to be corrected on this if I am wrong.

I personally believe that the drawing should be mirrored (as in AutoCAD) along with part but that might not be as easy from proggramming point of view.

Looks like you're all right. There's no way to do this. My only option is to create a new drawing and create reference dimensions throughout. I'm going to state that this part is a mirror image of the other part in the drawing notes.

It seems to me that it would be a useful feature to be able to mirror a part and have all of the features, bodies, etc. mirror at the same time, rather than having the one mirror feature at the end of the model tree. I can think of a lot of instances where you may have a left and right part that are very close to mirror images of each other, but not exactly. In those cases, you would need to be able to edit the features of the mirrored part.

Maybe they'll make this an option in the future. I just wonder what my plastic vendor is going to say when I send them a drawing stating that the right-hand part is a mirror image of the left hand part...

A possible alternative is to make a copy of the original part, and simply reverse the direction of the first extruded feature. Subsequent features may also have to be reversed.

Yeah, I explored that option, but it turned into a nightmare. So many sketches needed to be mirrored that I deemed it not worth the trouble. Unfortunately, that will be my only option if the vendor doesn't accept the mirrored part model and drawing.

As an aside to this, does anyone know how effectively a mirrored part imports into CAM software? My vendor will basically be importing my solid models into his CNC and machining the parts using those models. The drawings are mainly for QC purposes, as I understand it.

Most probably your parts will be moulded in as a set in the same mould. So if I was the tool maker(which I am) who is going to make the mould I will only make one cavity & mirror the other half & I only need one side of the drawing to figure out the tolerances & stuff.

It is a very standard practice & you telling them that parts are the mirror of each other will actually save them bit of time which they would have wasted comparing both drawings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back