Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mirroring with OSNAPS not working as expected in ACAD 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfee

Industrial
Apr 22, 2002
US
Intel XEON 4X
ACAD - 2012
CADWORX-Plant 2012
Win-7/64
8Gb RAM
Nvidea gt600x/2Gb video
... a decent capable setup...

A colleague here stopped me with an interesting question this morning.

A 3D model I'd started and he's taken over, required some tweaking. He got everything worked out on one side of the model, and intended to mirror the results across it's mid-plane.

The problem exhibits with or without CADWORX running.

He knew that an available object snap location to accomplish the mirror was available at the mid-point of an edge-line of one of the mid-plane components. When he'd selected the components to mirror, and with RUNNING OSNAPS selected and ENABLED, the mirror command wouldn't snap to the osnap point. He even specifically selected MID osnap from the list, and when that wouldn't "find", he tried mid-between-2, and the endpoints wouldn't find, either. We shifted to a planar view of the UCS, and it found the mid OSNAP point ok, but in an ISO-view of the same model, it just wouldn't find. I have to admit I don't recall encountering this before. I haven't had any problem before.

We came to my computer, opened the same model, and it exhibited the same behavior. I opened an unrelated model, and discovered the same problem.

Anyone have any suggestions as to a clue or 2 I should follow ? Possibly a system setting I'm not remembering ?

Thanks -

Clueless !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Found the answer. It was a UCS issue. The part being modified was SO far from the world origin that the Mirror (a 2D function) osnaps being projected to the WORLD X-Y plane were off the screen, if you were zoomed in on the assembly being modified. I had him move the assembly back to nearer 0,0,0, and all's right with the WORLD again ! He then moved the assembly back to its pre-edit location, and it went right into the master model.

Ok, just thought I'd share, just in case anyone else hit a similar speed-bump.

Good luck, and as always -

Proceed with caution !

- C.

Something I didn't make clear in my earlier post was that a local UCS would have worked as well, if the parts weren't so far from each other ...

So-

Where possible, place a local UCS in the right orientation for the operation. I like using the Z-Axis option of the UCS command, where possible, with the Z axis pointing normal or "UP" to the plane I want the mirror to happen in, then run the mirror command as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back